Friday, October 29, 2010

Nauvoo

We had a fabulous trip to Nauvoo, Illinios the last week of September. I took SO many pictures, which is why it has take me so long to post.

We go to do lots of fun things there. We met some oxen, which the kids loved. Porter went up and touched one of the oxen's horns and said "Hi goat"!


Porter also got to recognize his name on lots of signs and plaques there. It was funny to be in a place where everyone you tell his name to replies with a knowing "Ahhhh."
He is turning into such an independent little kid! He was always finding someplace he wanted sit on or climb on.



Ivy got to make a rope with this nice missionary. It was his first demonstration, and I think his "customer" was pleased! She was so proud of herself. They also got to see a brick making demonstartion, learn how they made bread in the 1840's, and watch a horse-shoe being made.


The Nauvoo Temple is gorgeous, and so much bigger and grander than I had expected. It is rebuilt of course, but it is almost an exact replica of what the early saints built in the 1840's. Amazing!




There was plenty of time for running around.




We took a 30 minute drive to Carthage, where Joseph and Hyrum were killed.






This is the hole in the door from the bullet that killed the Prophet. The window you see is the one he fell out of after he was shot (it's the upper window in the picture above). It was very emotional to be here, and I'm so glad we had the experience. Of course the kids didn't really appreciate the reverence of it, so John and I would love to go back kid-less someday!
But all in all, we had a fabulous time and were thankful for the much-needed family time!









3 comments:

Laura said...

Yay! Nauvoo rocks, but the only time I went I was 11 and didn't appreciate it as much as I should have. I did feel the Spirit, though. Great pics!

The Boring Family said...

How fun! I would love to take my kiddos to Nauvoo!

The Donigans said...

Nauvoo is wonderful. We've done two church histroy road trips with the kids, and like you would love to go without kids. Love your shot through the hole in the door. Carthage does have an amazing feel to it.