Thursday, October 8, 2009

My New Hobby

Well, I don't really know if it qualifies as a hobby, but canning sure is fun! I recently bought a pressure canner, and have loved canning some things in it.
My Mom reminded me about how I used to make fun of her for taking pictures of food she had made, but now I understand! I am quite proud of myself!


Applesauce.... (SOooo much better than store-bought) I am going to do more this weekend.

Pinto Beans.....( It costs a lot less to buy them dried, but with them canned now they are convenient and ready-to-use :)


Green Beans ( I only did 3 quarts becuase this was my first time using my canner, and if they didn't seal, or if I ruined them in some other way, I didn't want to waste a ton!





10 comments:

Monica said...

What a huge accomplishment! Wow! Like mother, like daughter. If you're willing, please share ideas for using the pinto beans. I'm interested to know if they're a substitute for refried beans. If not, maybe for soups and chili. Nice job!

jill d said...

I'm so impressed! I remember your mom canning and now I wish I would have paid attention and learned how to do it. Your mom is one amazing lady and I miss her. I love that you are canning. Way to go. BTW, I miss you too!

Chris and Kels said...

I am impressed!!! They all look YUMMY!

Bonnie said...

Well, you have certainly done your mother proud! You are so awesome!

Karen said...

Wow, way to go Natalie!! That is on my list of things to tackle before I die :) I'm too scared of the jars exploding and botulism.

Adam said...

Good Job, I would like to get into that Hobby. I need to look into a pressure cooker, do you recommend one?

geeno said...

that's so inspiring - i think i'll have to make a similar investment sometime in the near future. I am loving cooking lately and it's nice to make your own ready to use food because it's so much better tasting and better for you. Way to go Nat!

The Carlson Crew said...

I am so impressed! You are so ambitious, and look how awesome everything turned out! I am so jealous of your homemade applesauce, did you buy a saucer or just press it by hand? I want some! Mmmmmm...

Skinners said...

They look awesome! You are a superstar! Will you come do mine for me!?

Amber said...

You little domestic diva! Good for you! I did a little canning myself this fall. I did a bunch of tomatoes, peaches, and apricots. I am impressed you have mastered the pressure cooker though. And that applesauce sounds yummy! Maybe I will have to try that next.