Sunday, January 31, 2010

Oh Porter.

I walked into the nursery at church today to hear one of the leaders call Porter a maniac. I am not the type to be offended, but it's harder when it has to do with one of your kids. I realize he's a crazy kid, but I just love him. Maybe he'll need to go to montesorri school. Soon. Experience with wild almost-two-year-old boys? I'd love some tips on how to help his attention span, and on how to teach him to be nice to the poor scared little boy in the nursery that he likes to pick on. help.

5 comments:

Monica said...

Oh, Sis, I'm offended too and think "maniac" is too strong towards an almost 2-year old! He's going to be fine. Just be firm in your expectations, loving in your approach and with continued interraction with other kids (his age)you'll find ways to teach him. Did someone take a toy from him? If so, I'm sure he reacted! Love ya!

Brittany said...

Aww Porter. Dont take it too hard, I know if it were me I would agonizing about that comment forever wondering "Does my kid really behave this badly?" "Is it my fault?"
Nursery is stressful! When I first was called to be in there I remember thinking "Some of these kids are crazy!" But really its just that age, and when I had to leave a year later I learned that kids have different personalities, and have good days and bad days like the rest of us. You are a great mom and your kids are supersweet. All the kids improved over time in the nursery and I am sure when he grows up maniac will translate to somthing like motivated and assertive!

Melissa said...

There is a little boy in our nursery and (though I'm sad to admit it) I thought the same thing about him. Well, several weeks after my first impression he is adjusting nicely and getting better in nursery. So, my advice is give it some time. Nursery is an adjustment for every child--the shy, the active, the fearful, the bold. Can you imagine putting a bunch of adults with different personalities in a room and saying "You got two hours together and I want you to get along and have fun?" We need to give those kids more credit.

Staci said...

are you serious? i need to be reading your blog more. I got out of touch w/ blogs for a while now and just tonight i'm waiting for andy to come home and so i'm catching up. someone called him a maniac? you sure they weren't joking? i want to hear about this- who's the little boy he's picking on? porter's a good kid- they all have "crazies" at this age i'd say. they're testing people and their limits and what not.

i love ivy's room. it's so darling. a perfect little girl's room.

hope you're having fun in utah!

and.. the age deal... sounds like you just need a break... maybe utah's taking care of that. but i think a lot of us feel what you're feeling sometimes. i mean, we've had kids, we're like ten years older... stress... i'm assuming it will get better though! look at all the people in their 40's looking good! there is hope for us! ;) lol talk to you later-

Skinners said...

Sorry honey, my little boy is almost 4 and I still don't know what to do! The bad part, I have another little boy! Good luck and just love him! Enjoy the time, it goes way to fast!