This is so sad, but I am already just dying for summer to get here. I have daydreams about taking Ivy to the park, and having picnics, and going for walks, etc.... But unfortunately, it's February - the shortest, but somehow feels like the LONGEST month. So I thought I could use some new ideas of how to keep Ivy entertained. So please leave a comment and tell me what you do with your toddlers when you are stuck inside all day! And while I'm at it I'll give you all a couple of ideas that we use at our house.
1) Play Dough
Ivy loves this- I get out the cookie cutters and plastic utensils and she goes to town. And I like to make my own since the store-bought stuff stinks, and dries out really fast. So here's my recipe:
4 cups flour
1 cup salt
4 cups water
4 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup cream of tartar
Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan. Cook and stir over low/medium heat until play dough is completely formed and no longer sticky. Allow to cool slightly before storing in an air tight container or zip lock bag.
**Add one package of unsweetened powdered Kool-Aid to your playdough to make it smell yummy!
2) Bubbles
Yesterday we went to Wal-Mart and bought a bubble gun, which is the greatest thing ever, because you don't have to deal with spills, and sticky bubble fingers. I let Ivy just go crazy with the bubbles in the kitchen..... and then I proceeded to mop the kitchen floor 3 times (It's still sticky, by the way, but she had a blast).
So bring on the winter play ideas! I can't wait to have some new games to play!
5 comments:
We bought some target dollar spot stamps just for Jace that he loves to use.
Also, we've done the bubble bath thing recently with water toys, but then you have to be right there.
One last one, build a tent with your kitchen chairs and blankets, lay down a sheet and watch a movie with popcorn and sippie cups. Good luck!
Ty has a little friend over today so they are decorating Valentine cupcakes with frosting and sprinkles. Then, we are going to send some home with the friend for his family. They are making a mess, but they are happy and I know how to mop a floor...I also tagged you on my blog ;)
Im not a pro at this, I think we all have those days where being stuck inside just stink, no matter how big your house is!
We like to make trips to the library, check out movies and books and spend an hour a day reading, and then more time taking advantage of Michelles idea and camping out to watch a movie. A lot of the libraries have toddler reading times too. If you get a "Leisure" magazine from there, it has lots of ideas from the city of Aurora that are pretty cheap to do mommy & me type things.
We have discovered sledding in the front yard too, I personally am loving the snow right now, as long as I can come right back in and stand by the fireplace!
Here is a good link to learn some good games for indoors too...Good luck!
http://www.kids-fun-and-games.com/indoor-child-games.html
Natalie you read my mind! I am sick of being stuck inside also and I often daydream of warmer weather. I like your play dough idea, we'll have to give that one a try. It's nice to hear other ideas because I feel like we get stuck in a rut doing the same things sometimes!
Fun Ideas! Keep-em-comin!
Post a Comment